The production of added-value bio-based products from these side streams, following the emerging EU paradigms of integrated biorefinery and circular economy, is necessary to maximize full biomass-to-products value along the whole value chain, at the same time making the production costs of biofuels competitive without any governmental support.
- To assess industrial side streams and coproducts of two biotech processes (bioethanol and biodiesel production), characterizing the quality and amount of extractable compounds.
- To develop, upscale and validate an innovative and environmentally friendly process to extract/purify/concentrate proteins and bioactive compounds from industry side streams.
- To test and validate the application of the extracted compounds as ingredients in food, specialty chemicals, and cosmetics.
- To assess the environmental sustainability, technical performances, cost-benefits of technological solutions and final products, as well as preindustrial feasibility.
- To evaluate the business potential of the proposed innovative approach and build solid business cases for the exploitation of the project’s results.
- To raise awareness, engage stakeholders and build a robust network around the project’s results through a well-designed dissemination & communication strategy and activities.